Not up to a month after she started working as the female resident doctor in the pediatrics department of the Federal Medical Center FMC Umuahia Abia state, Dr. Ndukwu Chizaram, has reportedly died of Lassa Fever.
The Doctor who died at Irua Specialist Hospital in Esan Central Edo state over the weekend, according to her colleagues, had earlier attended to an 11-month old baby who had Lassa fever. The Nigerian doctor who was admitted in a Private ward at FMC Umuahia between March 29 and 30, before she was rushed to Irua Specialist Hospital, died on Saturday.
Innocent Orji, President of the association of resident doctors (ARD) in the state, said while addressing health workers in the hospital;
“Distinguished colleagues, we have an ongoing disaster in our hands. One of our members just died of Lassa fever at Irua specialist hospital.
“For now, anybody that worked in children emergency on 12th and 13th of this month, and in Slessor private ward on 29th and 30th should reach me immediately.
“The management has been informed and is already doing something. It is really a difficult time for all of us. But our priority now is to work with management to prevent further deaths. Contact tracing and risk stratification are currently underway. The response team of the hospital has been deployed.
“Make no mistake about this, what we have on our hands is a very big crisis and we sincerely hope that all hands will be on deck to see to the resolution of this crisis.”
From 1 January through 25 February 2018, 1081 suspected cases of Lassa Fever and 90 deaths have been reported from 18 states (Anambra, Bauchi, Benue, Delta, Ebonyi, Edo, Ekite, Federal Capital Territory, Gombe, Imo, Kogi, Lagos, Nasarawa, Ondo, Osun, Plateau, Rivers, and Taraba). During this period, 317 cases have been classified as confirmed and eight as probable, including 72 deaths (case fatality rate for confirmed and probable cases = 22%). A total of 2845 contacts have been identified in 18 states.
Fourteen health care workers have been affected in six states (Benue, Ebonyi, Edo, Kogi, Nasarawa, and Ondo), with four deaths (case fatality rate= 29%). As of 18 February, four out of the 14 health care workers were confirmed positive for Lassa fever.
An unidentified young man has allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself on a tree at Efab Junction, Lokogoma district of the Federal capital territory, Abuja.
The deceased committed suicide out of frustration according to an online source.
The body of the decease is still hanging on the tree.
See People Reaction:
Why are more people committing suicide in Nigeria?
Across Nigeria’s 36 states, official police statistics recorded 62 cases of suicide across Nigeria in 2016. Lagos and Ogun states have the highest rates: in 2016, 12 suicide cases and 5 suicide attempts were recorded in Lagos in 6 months
The most notorious case was in March, 2017, when a man believed to be a doctor, asked his driver to stop the car, an SUV, and jumped to his death from Third Mainland Bridge.
Another high-profile suicide in Nigeria involved a final year student at Ladoke Akintola University Ogbomosho, who was found hanging from the ceiling of his room.
In 2015, the World Health Organisation ranked Nigeria as 30th in the world, just after North Korea. Such stories and figures are in tragic juxtaposition to Nigeria’s regular ranking as one of the happiest places on earth.
So why the disconnect, and – although official statistics are hard to come by – why is the number of people committing suicide in Nigeria appearing to rise.
“Nobody ever stops yearning for money,” says one Yoruba trader, as he explains the economic hardship. “A measurement of rice that used to be sold for 150 Naira has skyrocketed to 350 Naira.”
“When a man can feed humself and his family without anxiety, he will have no cause to be depressed,” says one young man.
Nigeria’s economy has been in its worst recession for 25 years causing many people to lose their jobs and come under severe financial strain.
“Peer pressure can make someone suicidal,” suggests one woman.
“A lot of people nowadays want to make it rich quickly and it leads to sudden death – when you become concerned with how glamorously your peers spend money,” says a young Nigerian.
“And sometimes that leads to money rituals. And when they attempt money ritual abortively more than two times, they could hang themselves.”
Popular politician and chieftain of the PDP has reacted to the inclusion of his name in a list of alleged looters released by the Buhari-led federal government on Sunday.
A former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mr Olisa Metuh, has denied collecting money from the office of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Sambo Dasuki.
Metuh, who is standing trial for allegedly diverting N400 million from the former National Security Adviser, made this denial on Sunday, during an interview on Channels Television Programme, Politics Today.
He said during the interview that he has never been to the office of the NSA and has no relationship with him.
“I did not collect any money from the National Security Adviser’s office. I have never been to the former National Security Adviser’s office.
“I had no relationship with the former National Security Adviser, I had a relationship with my President who was the leader of my party,” he said.
Metuh, during the interview, pointed accusing fingers at the Federal Government. He claimed that the APC-led government is witch-hunting its opponents especially members of the PDP and not truly fighting corruption.
“This persecution is more than that. They witch-hunt. It is not a fight against corruption. It is a fight against political opponents.
“How can you call someone a looter when he is still in court. How can you say someone stole when there is no evidence about it? When you are saying that the money paid into his account is an unlawful activity. You haven’t proven it. You have not established anything. Maybe because you think you can manipulate the judiciary,” he said.
The former PDP spokesperson also faulted the list of alleged looters released by the Federal Government. He claimed that the Federal Government is manipulating the judiciary and lamented that “this is not the democracy that our founding fathers established.”
Metuh also absolved the PDP of alleged corrupt activities or funds mismanagement, challenging the Federal Government to prosecute any PDP member found guilty of corruption allegation.
“Is PDP an individual, if there are PDP members that have looted, please charge them to court, even if they have gone to the APC. Do not say the PDP has looted because the PDP is not an individual.
“PDP as a party ensures the principles of democracy. We allowed people their fundamental human right,” he said.
The Federal Government in its list of alleged looters released on Friday named Metuh as one of those who have allegedly looted the nation’s treasury. In reaction to this, Metuh said the APC-led Federal Government has resorted to all kinds of tactics to dehumanise and intimidate him.
Metuh, in his ongoing trial for allegedly diverting N400 million from the former NSA has filed an application seeking to travel to London, United Kingdom to get treatment for a malignant spinal cord disease.
The Supreme court which is sitting in Abuja, however, adjourned ruling on Metuh’s application for permission to travel to April 19, 2018.
A former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, has rejected the inclusion of his name in a list of alleged looters released by the Buhari-led federal government on Sunday.
RE: “LOOTERS” LIST.
It has been brought to my attention that my name was placed in what the Federal Government of Nigeria describes as its “looters list”.
I wish to make it abundatly clear that this is nonsensical and utterly shameful and I hereby reiterate the fact that I am totally innocent of any wrongdoing.
The fact of the matter is that no “looters list” is complete without the names of Muhammadu Buhari, Yemi Osinbajo, Rotimi Ameachi, Tunde Fashola, Bola Tinubu, Lai Mohammed, Adamu Abdullahi, Dambazau, Kayode Fayemi, Babachir Lawal, Maina, Maikanto Baru, Burutai, all APC Governors and other key members of the Buhari administration and the APC.
The Federal Government claims thay I “looted” 800,000,000 naira from government coffers. This is false.
I did not receive and neither was I ever given one kobo by any government official, government agency or govermment parastatal during President Goodluck Jonathan’s tenure.
The money that I received was given to me by the Director of Finance of the Jonathan Campaign Organisation, Mrs. Esther Nenadi Usman, before the election in 2015 and it was specifically for the conduct of the Presidential election.
I was Director of Media and Publicity of the Campaign Organisation and it was used specifically and solely for the running and conducting of the media and publicity aspect of the election.
Mrs. Usman, who was Minister of Finance during the Obasanjo government, was neither a member of the Jonathan government and neither did she manage, handle or touch any government funds in her capacity as Director of Finance of the Jonathan campaign.
The money she made available to me came from a private company account which was used to house contributions made to the Jonathan campaign by party supporters after a series of fundraising event.
These were private funds and not public funds and neither can anyone expect us to have run an election in 2015 without any money. You do not run election campaigns with sand but with money.
It is common knowledge that the Buhari campaign in 2015 was funded by moneys that can be traced directly to the state governments of Rivers state, Lagos state, Kano state, Ogun state and a number of other key APC states yet not one of those involved or that governed any of those states at the time have been questioned, arrested or prosecuted by the EFCC or the Federal Government.
It is also comon knowledge that President Buhari himself was offered and received several benefits and received money from the office of the former National Security Advisor, Col. Sambo Dasuki, yet nothing has been done about this.
From the foregoing it is clear that the Buhari administration’s so-called war against corruption is selective and punitive and it is nothing but a vicious media trial and politically-motivated witchunt.
It is nothing but a squalid and mafia-like attempt to muscle, discredit, demonise and sillence key members of the opposition. It is slanderous, malicious and unjust.
If not for the fact that the Buhari administration is an irresponsible, weak, desperate and corrupt government that has no confidence in itself and no sense of decency how can they declare people that have not been convicted by any court of law as “looters”.
Not only is this a violation of the constitutional provision that says that an accused person is deemed innocent until they are proved guilty by a duly constituted court of law but it is also highly prejudicial to the criminal cases that they are or may be facing.
Apart from that it is a crude and sordid attempt to intimidate the judges and influence the outcome of the cases which are before them and also to compel them to give the judgement that the government wants. This is not only unacceptable but it is also shameful.
It is a clear violation of the concept of separation of powers which gives the judiciary alone the power to determine the guilt or otherwise of an accused person.
It is trite law that only a court of law can declare a man guilty or declare him a thief or a looter and not Buhari and his government.
How can anyone get a fair trial in a country when the government has already pronounced them guilty before the world?
You cannot be the investigator, accuser, prosecutor and judge in your own case. This is a basic principle of criminal and constitutional law which appears to have been lost on President Buhari and his cohorts.
I don’t blame him: I blame Vice President Osinbajo who, as a Professor of Law and a learned SAN, should know better and who I am reliably informed is the co-ordinator of all these politically-motivated, baseless and malicious corruption cases which are being conducted against opposition members by the EFCC.
He is the one that has been saddled with the shameless responsibility of manipulating the prosecutors, emboldening false witnesses, attempting to pressure the judges and attempting to send innocent men and women who are members of the opposition to jail.
One day, whether he believes it or not, there will be a reckoning for his wickedness just as there will be one for Buhari and his entire government. God will see to that and He will judge and punish them.
Meanwhile I reject the false label of “looter” and I hereby return it to sender.
I also deny all the charges that have been levelled against me by the EFCC, I hereby restate my innocence and I shall continue to vigorously defend myself and my good family name in the court of law.
I have no doubt that in the end my innocence will speak for me, God will vindicate me and He will expose my accusers for the heartless monsters that they really are.
Two taxi drivers identified as Nathan Ogbara, 33 and Justin Amos, 32 have been arrested by the Bayelsa State Police Command, for reportedly raping and robbing their female passenger in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.
The Taxi-drivers who were about fleeing the crime scene, were arrested at Tombia Roundabout Yenagoa and according to the State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Asinim Butswat, the mobile handset of the victim was recovered from the rapists.
“On 1st April 2018, at about 0200hrs, police were alerted that a young girl was sexually assaulted and her phone was stolen from her by two men operating a taxi, at opposite Jubilee hotel, Kpansia, Yenagoa. .
The victim, 22, reported that she contacted one Nathan to drop her at her house at Agudama Epie, after she participated in a dance competition at a car wash. The suspect, called one Justin to join him. .
Along the road, opposite Jubilee hotel, the suspects parked their cars and dragged the girl to a nearby bush and raped her. They took her phone and zoomed off towards Tombia Roundabout. .
Consequently, a police patrol team arrested the suspects and recovered the stolen handset. Their taxis have been impounded and investigation is ongoing” he said.
Before now, there has also been a report of a 36-year-old commercial taxi driver identified as John Madu, who was arrested by the Police at Obehie community in Ukwa West Local Government Area of Abia State, for reportedly raping a female passenger.
The lady whose name could not be ascertained was said to be a female passenger returning to Obehie from Lagos, to meet her parents before the incident happened.
It was gathered that all the entreaties made by the lady to the driver not to rape her as she claimed to be a virgin, failed on deaf ears as he went on to force himself on the lady and defiled her.