According to reports gathered, a primary six pupil name Bello Salisu, of Morawa Primary School in Morawa village, Batagarawa Local Government Area of Katsina State was hit by a stray bullet reportedly fired by operatives of the Nigeria Custom Service on Friday.
The incident was said to have happened along Katsina–Kano road when the customs operatives shooting sporadically were allegedly chasing smugglers conveying rice and second-hand clothes in a J5 bus.
Salisu was hit by the stray bullets and sustained injuries on his hand, around his shoulder and neck.
Salisu, who spoke to journalists from his hospital bed in the accident and emergency area of the General Hospital, Katsina said they were on break when they heard gunshots and ran to see what happened when he was hit by the bullets from the Customs officers.
Principal Personnel Officer of the Batagarawa Local Government Education Authority, Aminu Bello, expressed dismay over the incident which he said calls for urgent intervention by the government to avert the recurrence.
An eyewitness, Abubakar Yusuf said the custom operatives were chasing smugglers when the incident happened.
“The custom officers were chasing a J5 Bus which was carrying smuggled rice and second new clothes and in the process they shot at the smugglers which hit the student. And so we had to rush the boy down to the hospital as they drove away,”
Yusuf said while also displaying the empty cover of the bullet allegedly shot by the customs officers.
Another class teacher, Shawanatu Musa said the incident happened when the pupils were on break and suddenly they heard the sound of gunshots and later were told that a pupil from the school was hit by the gunshot.
“We were seated when we heard loud sound of gunshots. We were preventing our pupils from going to the roadside when someone came to inform us that one of our students was shot.”
From report gathered students of the Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba Akoko (AAUA), Ondo state have taken to the streets in protest over the hike in their tuition, Sahara Reporters learned on Monday.
The protesting students marched through the popular Oba Adesida road to Alagbaka in Akure, the Ondo State capital, preventing a free flow of traffic as they register their displeasure.
The students were armed placards bearing various inscriptions as they chanted solidarity songs in their procession, which grounded commercial activities in the state capital.
The students said that the fee increase of 500 % was unacceptable as their parents would not be able to pay.
One of the protesting students, Iyabo Adebimbe, lamented the increment in the tuition, arguing that many female students may be lured into crime or prostitution due to the inability of their parents to pay.
“Before, we (students) were paying between N25, 000 and N30, 000 but now it has been increased to N120, 000 and 180, 000 which is just too much to bear for us and our parents.
“This increment shows that the state government being led by Governor Rotimi Akeredolu wants us to result into prostitution and other forms of crime which could destroy our future. I learnt my of our colleagues are already dropping out of the system because they can’t afford it”, She said.
The management of the Adekunle Ajasin University had last week released the tuition fees for both the old and new students of the school for the 2017/2018 academic sessions with an increase of over 500%.
Ondo State House of Assembly said on Monday that it has nothing to do with the tuition increase announced by the Governing Council of the Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko, saying the council did not carry the state legislature along before taking the decision.
Speaking with journalists on the development, the Chairman House Committee on Information, Mr Fatal Olotu urged the protesting students to remain calm while the Assembly took a decision that would favour them.
” We dissociate ourselves from the proposed new fees. We have not carried along, we are not aware of the new fees. All the announcement on the new fees would be revisited. ”
Also, the speaker of the House, Mr. Bamidele Oloyeloogun, said since the governing council failed to report to the House Committee on Tertiary Institutions, the Assembly would not support the increment.
The family members of the late Nigerian singer, Zainab Ali-Nielsen, aka Alizee, are still in shock over her death.
The 37-year-old singer and her four-year-old daughter, Petra, were found dead on Thursday in the kitchen at their residence in Banana Island, Lagos. Some reports have alleged that Alizee’s Danish husband, Peter Nielsen Schau, murdered them.
In a chat with Sunday Scoop, Alizee’s father, Ali Madaki, gave some information about the couple.
He said, “I have known my late daughter’s husband for over seven years now. At the outset, he was of good character but last year, he started fighting his wife. Last November, a case was reported at the police station when he beat her to a coma. He then wrote an undertaking that he would never batter her again.”
Recalling how he was informed about the ugly incident, Madaki said, “On Thursday morning, he called me; I was in Abuja. Since I missed his calls, I called back and he told me he saw my daughter and granddaughter on the floor in the kitchen. I asked what went wrong; he didn’t say a word and dropped the call. One of my two daughters staying with them called their mother and broke the news. We took the next flight to Lagos and found out she was dead truly. I didn’t even know my grandchild was dead too.
I told my daughter to get Petra for me and we should go, then she told me she was dead too. I was shocked.
The husband claimed it was gas suffocation that killed them. We know that gas doesn’t kill people that way. In the pictures, you would see bruises all over their bodies. They were strangled to death. I strongly believe he did it because their compound is highly secured. Whenever I visited them, the security operatives had to confirm my visit with them before I would be allowed in.”
Stating that he was unaware whether the Danish man was a drug addict or alcoholic, Alizee’s father said, “I don’t know if he has a history of being an alcoholic or drug addict. She once came back to our house in Abuja after being battered by her husband. She was there for almost a month. The man came and started begging that he was drunk. He said he consumed too much alcohol on the fateful day he beat her. Since they had been together for a while and he had never misbehaved, I accepted his plea and allowed Alizee to return to Lagos.
“My two daughters are in the police station right now to give their statements because they witnessed all that happened. They said he hit her head on the wall. In the morning, he then asked them where his wife was. They pretended they didn’t know what happened. They knew that if they had made any attempts, they could be attacked too. There were five people in the house when the incident occurred – my late daughter, her child, husband and my two daughters – one 12-year-old and the other 10-year-old. I have four girls; Alizee is my first child and her immediate younger sister works in a bank.”
The mourning father stated that he wanted justice to prevail. He added, “He cannot do this in our country and get away with it even though he could get away with it if he had done it in his country. We want our government to pass a strong message to other foreigners with this. If this happens in their country, they would surely execute the Nigerian. Our government must give justice too as they do in other countries.”
Meanwhile, Alizee’s younger sister, Gift Madaki, who allegedly witnessed the incident, stated that when she heard Alizee crying for help, she went out to peep. “I was at home when the incident occurred. When she was crying for help, I went to see what was going on and I saw the husband hitting her head on the wall. I couldn’t come out because I knew he would descend on me too. The man is aggressive.
The FG is compiling new list of looters who was involve in looting the nation’s treasury under former President, Goodluck Jonathan.
The fresh list will have names of those who are yet to be arraigned in courts for corruption.
Names of former governors, ministers and even bankers are to show in the list.
The Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption, PACAC, Prof. Itse Sagay, SAN, confirmed this development to Punch.
He said the names of 55 persons that allegedly looted N1.34tn under Jonathan’s regime were not in the lists of looters released by the Federal Government.
Sagay said he was very sure that the Federal Government would publish the names of these alleged looters.
He said, “Yes, I’m sure. In fact, there is a paper containing all their names, the charges against them, how far their cases have gone, some of them have never been charged.
“That list includes former governors, ministers, bankers and so on. That is another list entirely.
“I don’t want to mention any names for now. There are people on that list that the court declared that the EFCC (Economic and Financial Crimes Commission) had no right to prosecute for technical reasons, not for substantive reasons.”
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, had earlier disclosed that 55 persons stole N1.34tn under Jonathan’s watch.
The Minister released 29 names, who he said took money from the office of the former National Security Adviser, Col. Sabo Dasuki (retd .).